The day I saw Semi-Homemade by Sandra Lee on the Food channel was a game changer for me. Sandra Lee and her famous semi-homemade philosophy made it perfectly okay to cut corners when creating a meal for family and friends. I’ve cut down so much time from my cooking with the semi-homemade approach. Desserts are just as easy to make semi-homemade. I’m not embarrassed to say that I use boxed cake mix. My family doesn’t even know! Well…. now they do, I suppose. Adding a few extra ingredients to your boxed cake mix will make it so much better and give it a delicious homemade taste!
15 Ways To Make Boxed Cake Mix Recipes Better!
Before you bake…Add ons to amp up your cake flavor
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (great in chocolate and yellow cake mixes)
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg (perfect paired with cinnamon in yellow cake mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika (brings out the chocolate flavor in chocolate mixes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of allspice with 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (perfect for vanilla cake mix)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (walnuts are my favorite!)
- 1 extra egg will make your cake more moist
- *BONUS* 1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla goes a long way!
Mix Revamps!….New recipes to make with cake mix
- Instead of adding the wet ingredients to a box of spice cake mix, add a 29oz can of pumpkin with 1 cup of chocolate chips and make pumpkin cupcake muffins
- Add 2 sticks of softened butter to a box of yellow cake mix and a 29oz can of peaches in syrup to make peach cobbler. (see my full recipe here)
- Place two cans of apple pie filling in a baking dish and sprinkle a box of spice cake on top. Pour 2 melted sticks of butter on top using fork to lightly mix with the cake mix. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes to make apple cobbler.
- Transform your cake mix into cookies by mixing a box of cake mix, 2 eggs, a 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and a 12 oz bag of peanut butter baking chips, m&m candies, or any other baking candy or nuts. Bake for 9-10 minutes at 350F.
After the show is done….Ideas for cake after it’s baked
- Bake a lemon cake in a baking dish per box directions, poke several holes in the cake with a clean or gloved finger and top the cake with lemon pudding.
- Remove the center of a strawberry cupcake and fill with chopped fresh strawberries. Top with plenty of vanilla icing
- Cut a chocolate cupcake in half (or can remove the center of the cupcake to make it easy) and add a scoop of cherry pie filling, replace the cupcake top and add a dollop of whipped frosting.
- Add mini chocolate chips or chopped up candy bars to your frosting before placing on your cake or cupcakes.
- *BONUS* Top your frosted cupcakes or cake with add ons like chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or a piece of dried or fresh fruit.